August is almost here, and if you’re looking for new games to play on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and PC, there are some exciting titles on the horizon. Easily the biggest title coming out in a few weeks is Saints Row, a reimagining of the popular open-world franchise that takes the gangland sandbox back to its roots after the last number of games bumped the absurdity factor to 11.
On top of that, there’s the delightfully charming and slightly haunting Cult of the Lamb to look forward to, web-slinging on PC when Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered arrives, a roguelike golf game (yeah), and a retro compilation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles greatest hits that’s totally groovy, dude. We’ve rounded up the full list below and highlighted a few other games that will headline August, ranging from alien invasion remakes to an annoying cat that wants to terrorize your tidy mess.
Two Point Campus (August 9)
Welcome to the academy! Following the success of Two Point Hospital, Two Point Studios moves into higher education for its next round of strategy sim.
You’ll be tasked with establishing a university that can draw brilliant minds from its hallowed halls and perhaps earn a few bucks in the process to keep the establishment running. There will be many challenges to overcome, but with the right faculties and unique strategies, you can create an institute that shapes minds and wins hearts with its unique curriculum.
Cult of the Lamb (August 11)
It’s cute, oozing charm from every pixel, and you could tarnish your immortal soul by playing as a possessed lamb who must start a cult to pay off a life debt to the underworld. With that little bit of motivation in play, get ready to gather resources, amass a devoted following of believers, and use them to help rid the world of false lamb gods. Wholesome fun, coming to PC and consoles this month.
Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered (Aug 12)
Sony has been slowly releasing its console-exclusive games on PC, and for its next port, it’s bringing Insomniac’s excellent Marvel’s Spider-Man into play. Originally released on PS5, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered gives PC gamers a host of new graphical options, all the great DLC, and support for DualSense controllers.
Rollerdrome (August 16)
Part indie roller-skating game, part bloodsport, Rollerdrome combines a timeless lust for athletic violence with stunts to create a deadly experience. OlliOlli developer Roll7 is at the helm of this title, which features a dark, dystopian world where athletes battle to the death in the titular sport.
Cursed at Golf (August 18)
Set in Golf Purgatory, where golf is much more fiendish than relaxing, Cursed to Golf is a side-scrolling roguelike with colorful visuals and challenging levels. If you don’t finish each hole with a par, you go back to the beginning. With four biomes, branching paths, over 70 dungeons to conquer, and a host of unique power-ups, Cursed to Golf aims to keep you on the course for the long haul. Cursed to Golf will be released on consoles and PC. You can try it now thanks to a free demo on Steam.
Saint’s Row (August 23)
Don’t expect to stop an alien invasion in this Saints Row game, as developer Volition hits the streets for a new game starring the purple team. The Saints are back and the opportunities to cause mayhem, defraud insurance companies and establish a criminal empire are greater than ever. Focusing on insane violence, deeper characters, and a host of customization options, the new Saints Row is shaping up to be a nostalgic blast from the past that has some modern conveniences thrown in for good measure.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection (August 30)
If the excellent Shredder’s Revenge hasn’t satisfied your appetite for teenage martial arts reptiles, then the Cowabunga Collection should end those cravings. Collecting 13 TMNT games from yesteryear across multiple platforms, the Cowabunga Collection also adds online gameplay for select titles, sharper visuals, rewind features for when you get stuck on that horrible underwater NES TMNT game level, and plenty of stock footage.
A little to the left (August date to be confirmed)
Now that cats are (rightfully so) gaming royalty, it’s time to introduce audiences to a more mischievous feline who wields chaos and reshuffles power in A Little to the Left. The game’s central hook is that it’s all about placing things to the right, or to the left, neatly arranging items while a cat swoops in to make the mundane task a bit more exciting.
August 2022 Video Game Releases
- The Mortuary Assistant (PC) – August 2
- Frogun (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch): August 2
- South of the Circle (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch): August 3
- Camp Canyonwood – (Steam Early Access on PC) – August 4
- PlateUp (PC) – August 4
- Hard West 2 (PC) – August 4
- Turbo Golf Racing (Steam Early Access on PC, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S Game Preview) – August 4
- Retreat to Enen (PC) – August 5
- Farthest Frontier – (Steam Early Access on PC) – August 9
- Two Point Campus (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch): August 9
- Lost in Play (PC, Switch) – August 10
- Pulling No Punches (PC) – August 10
- Rumbleverse (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One): August 11
- Arcade Paradise (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One) – August 11
- Cult of the Lamb (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One) – August 11
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered (PC) – August 12
- Fashion Police Squad (PC) – August 15
- Rollerdrome (PC, PS5, PS4) – August 16
- Way of the Hunter (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S): August 16
- Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince (PC, Switch) – August 16
- Robo Revenge Squad (Xbox One, Switch) – August 17
- Thymesia (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S): August 18
- Cursed to Golf (PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch) – August 18
- RPG Time: The Legend of Wright (PS4, Switch, PC) – August 18/September 13 [PC]
- Madden NFL 23 (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S): August 20
- Midnight Fight Express (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – August 23
- Saints Row (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S) – August 23
- I Was a Teenage Exo-Colonist (PC, PS4, PS5) – August 25
- Pac-Man World Re-Pac (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch): August 26
- Soul Hackers 2 (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S): August 26
- Destroy All Humans 2 – Failed (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S) – August 30
- F1 Manager 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S): August 30
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch) – August 30
- Tinykin (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch): August 30
- ORX (PC) – August 30
- ZOR: Pilgrimage of the Slorfs – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 30
- Dusk Diver 2 (PS4, PS5, Switch) – August 31
- Scathe (PC) – August 31
- A Little Left (PC, Switch) – August TBC
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a portion of the proceeds if you purchase something featured on our site.